E-Scooter App Development: Guide to Scooter Sharing App Development
Table of Contents
More and more people across the world are now relying on innovative and IoT technologies to make their life simpler and faster. The e-vehicle sharing applications coming on top of the downloading charts is a result of this process. Electric scooters have numerous benefits that include eco-friendliness, reducing traffic congestion, and affordability.
The statistics show that the e-scooter market is expanding over the years. So, the investment into e-scooter app development can be a great decision that will pay off soon enough.
Now, let’s dive deep into the process of creating such an application for an electric scooter renting and making it successful!
Relevant video about Scooter Sharing app development 🎥
What is an E-Scooter App?
E-scooter app is most often an IoT solution that allows sharing small electronic vehicles. You may have seen different applications in the places where you live.
Despite minor differences, these scooter rental software have similar work principles. The user needs to sign in and choose a payment method. They will see a map that shows the available scooters’ location near them.
An app will unlock an e-scooter after the user scans the QR code. Most often the application calculates the total sum when the user finishes the ride, the paycheck will depend on the ride time.
After the payment is due, the e-scooter locks again after someone else comes to pick it up from that spot.
This business is mostly automated, this is why a lot of startups and business owners find it attractive. You don’t need to control e-scooters movement, payments, or anything else; the e-scooter app does it all for you.
And when it comes to the popularity of such solutions, it’s important to note that Bird startup is considered the first e-scooter unicorn and has about a $2b valuation.
If you’re going to start your own e-scooter startup, you should think of the features your e-scooter app will have before the development process starts. So, let’s look at the most essential functions of such applications.
E-SCOOTER APP development consulting
Looking to create your own e-scooter share or something else? Contact us and our specialists will help you with any question!
The most needed features to look for in E-Scooter app development
Let’s start with the basics. E-scooter needs to have at least two payment methods so it would be accessible for as many people as possible. However, there is more to uncover.
E-scooter app needs real-time GPS tracking to ensure that the user sees nearby vehicles and can locate the nearest one. This is essential since the whole point of such applications is comfort and time-saving, so nobody would want to use a longer route to reach the e-scooter.
This one your clients will need in order to unlock the e-scooters. E-scooters must be marked with a special QR-code which will unlock the vehicle after the app scans it. The locking with the feature is also possible.
So, if the previous feature allows unlocking the e-scooter in the app, this one allows to lock it. This feature allows your client to lock the e-scooter at the point of their destination so then the other customer can take the vehicle from that point. This makes the app more comfortable to use.
Now, let’s take an example from the best of the best and take a look at the additional features that famous startups have implemented into their e-scooters apps during the e-scooter mobile app development.
- Secure payment gateway integration is used in most successful e-scooters apps. It’s possible to integrate the safest payment gateways like PayPal or SecurePay during the development. This can upskill a customer’s trust in your startup and secure the end-customer payment.
- Booking of an e-scooter is a feature available in GOAT, an app from Austin. It allows the customer to reserve an e-scooter from an app for up to 5 minutes in advance. This might be really useful if your customer sees a vehicle and has to walk a few minutes to get it, so don’t disregard this feature during the e-scooter mobile app development.
- Adding social media accounts in an e-scooter app can work as a good marketing development solution. Your end-user can show everyone that they use your solution and you will get an unexpected shoutout meanwhile your user can have additional bonuses from it like small discounts. This feature is used in the Skip app from San Francisco.
- The feedback form will help you learn what your users actually think of the e-scooter app and what ideas they have to improve it.
There are also some of the hardware features that you have to consider, like anti-theft alarm, battery and distance mater, maintenance sensor, and others. This will not only improve the quality of an app and customer experience but will make your electric scooter business truly automated.
Now, when we’re all set with the features to use in the e-scooter mobile app development, let’s take a look at the actual development process of an e-scooter app.
Scooter Sharing App Development Solutions by RexSoft
When you need your e-scooter app to fully meet your requirements, there are two basic ways how to reach it. In RexSoft, you can choose from both these scooter-sharing app development options to get the best results. Let’s consider both these options and compare the opportunities they give you.
- You have an opportunity to launch a scooter share business within 2 months due to the E-Scooter Franchise by RexSoft.
- You don't need to develop an electric scooter rental app - use our ready-made solution which is easily customized to your needs and pay for the franchise from $5 for a scooter per month.
- Franchise cost includes basic payment for setting up the application and monthly payment for app use. The basic payment is a fixed amount, monthly payments depend on your scooter's fleet.
150-200 hours + supportTotal cost
From $5 for a scooter per month.
A ready-made scooter sharing app customization
- We use a ready-made RexSoft scooter sharing app product that is of a cross-platform origin and is available for further customization and scaling up.
- We can customize its functionality for both managers and customers.
- The integration of payment systems is available.
- E-scooter adjustment for the app functionality is available.
- The further launching to the market is available for iOS and Android.
300-600 hoursTotal cost
$11000-22000 depending on the time spent.
Custom e-scooter sharing app development
- We develop a custom e-scooter app from scratch depending on the customer’s needs and use top-notch Flutter and Node JS technologies to get a cross-platform app.
- We design prototypes and develop a unique app UX/UI design.
- We develop custom functionality of an app for managers and customers both.
- E-scooter adjustment for the app functionality is available.
- The further launching to the market is available for iOS and Android.
1000-1300 hoursTotal cost
$35000-45000 depending on the time spent.
What Requirements to the Scooter Sharing Hardware Development Are Essential
The process of scooter sharing app development requires each e-scooter to support the following technologies: Cloud Monitoring or IoT. The first one is cloud-based technology that allows managing all the infrastructure in the cloud. For e-scooter rental, it is essential to get all the processes to hold in real-time, and cloud monitoring technology allows it. As for IoT, it is the use of AI-based technologies for e-scooter management and interaction with the whole vehicle park. Both functions are available for implementation by e-scooter sharing app manufacturer RexSoft.
Besides, the owner of the e-scooter rental service needs to provide safety for their park. That is each e-scooter should be equipped with a digital alarm system that will provide operators with real-time notifications about heavy crashes, falls, breakdowns, or unauthorized moves of the scooter. The last option means that the alarm system should react on the move beyond the route allowed by the rules and in the cases of unauthorized access i.e. stealing the scooter.
Both these solutions include the two options that RexSoft offers in the field of scooter sharing app development. These are the development of the unique design of an app and the customization of the app’s interface.
The overall scope of services for both customization of a ready-made scooter sharing app and turnkey custom development allow you to get the result you need that is a profitable, workable, and reliable application that serves brilliantly both operators and customers of your e-scooter sharing service.
E-Scooter App Development process
You should always start with the hardware. Ensure that you’re all set with this and then start the e-scooter app development. Here are some of the steps that you will have to take if you’d work with RexSoft.
Design — user-friendly and intuitive design is essential for en e-scooter app development. You should consider minimalistic design ideas or use something interactive to make users come back more than once. Design should catch an eye and you might even consider starting with application prototyping.
Front-end development — every feature on the surface of an app is what front-end developers are for. Make sure that your e-scooter application works smoothly and doesn’t freeze then people will use it more often.
Back-end development — is also one of the most important steps. You should check twice for third-party services like payment methods, GPS, and others to be secure. This may upskill the customer experience users get from your e-scooter app so we pay special attention to it during the e-scooter mobile app development.
Testing — it speaks for itself. Our QA engineers will check an app for all the bugs and eliminate every single one of them.
Creating a device API
Creating a device API — this one is in the IoT developers’ hands. It ensures that the e-scooter application correctly connects with the hardware and everything works as intended. As you may guess, it’s also one of the most important things in e-scooter app development.
Everything in our e-scooter app development process is carefully calculated to deliver the best results to our customers. This is why we also tend to choose the best technologies for our development.
E-Scooter App Development technologies
Here are the technologies that we prefer to use in our e-scooter app development:
Allows creating cross-platform applications that look and work as well as the native ones. Flutter also speeds up the development since allows to use of the same codebase for iOS and Android apps. Is the third most loved technology.
Is perfect for real-time applications and makes the IoT apps more efficient. Allows you to speed the development up and don’t experience quality losses.
E-Scooter App Development cost
First, let’s take a look at how much time the e-scooter app development consumes on the C24 example:
- Design — 80h;
- App development — 360h;
- Back-end development/App API — 280h;
- Super Admin CMS — 140h;
- Device API — 160h.
So, our specialists worked on C24 e-scooter app development for 1020h in total. Let’s take it as an average sum of hours and assume that you ordered a development from the US ($75/h), and Ukraine ($40/h).
The e-scooter app development from the US will cost you around $76,800 when the offshore development from Ukraine will take only $40,800.
E-Scooter App Development example C24
We’ve already mentioned this project above. It’s a Ukrainian e-scooter application that’s present in the biggest cities like Kyiv and Kharkiv. We’ve developed this application to support eco-friendly vehicles and new ideas that spread across the world.
E-scooter App Features С24
- map showing scooters
- possibility to view information about the status of the scooter and its rates on the map
- scooter rent for the trip
- personal account
- travel history
- balance (refill, cost history)
- promo codes
- referral program
- messages (incoming notifications and mailing)
- settings (password, beginner mode with limited speed)
- about us (info page and feedback form)
- user management (editing, blocking for a period of time with a message to the user)
- managers (setting up staff rights)
- scooters (add devices, edit, view travel history and rent a device)
- trips (travel history)
- territories (creation of territories for separate cities, districts of cities, creation of movement zones in these territories)
- batteries (scooter battery management)
- battery replacement (accounting for battery replacement work by the staff)
- promo codes (creation)
- messages (mailing list creation)
- editing the text content of the application
- franchise (feedback)
- command history (login)
This application has all the essential features, works on both iOS and Android, and we developed an advertising website for it as well.
One of the biggest challenges was to create an admin panel, so we advise you to pay special attention to it in your e-scooter app development. You can read more about it in our case study!
An e-scooter app might be an extremely proficient business idea, so if you’re looking to begin your own startup take a closer look at this niche. It’s young and more than ready for your app to shift the grounds!
Why should I go for e-scooter app development?
It’s an innovative and eco-friendly way to move across the city. The e-scooter startups have quick time-to-market and become unicorns. The technology is getting more popular and the forecasts are promising it a good future.
What technologies should I use?
We at RexSoft advise you to use Node.js and Flutter for e-scooter app development. It’ll help you release the app faster, will give you high productivity, and the ability to launch your product on both iOS and Android.
Why should I work with RexSoft?
We’re a reliable software development company that has experience in creating similar applications. We’d like to tell you more about our benefits, you should contact us!
Oleksandr KryvotsiukHEAD OF MARKETING AT REXSOFT